Solicitor – Court of Protection
Solicitor – Court of Protection
Fletchers Solicitors have a fantastic opportunity to join our growing Court of Protection Team. We are looking for Solicitors with 3 years PQE up to Partner level.
Location: Hybrid working with some presence in our Northwest offices.
In the position you will be taking an active role, assisting, and leading the court of protection department to provide deputyship and trustee support to clients who have personal injury or clinical negligence claims, which involve the management of substantial compensation awards. This is a thriving and growing area of the business and there is considerable scope for career development. The role is in a supportive and lively team working collaboratively.
About Fletchers Solicitors:
Fletchers is a rapidly growing law firm specialising in personal injury and clinical negligence law. We are based in the North-West of the UK, with offices in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds & Southport, although many of our colleagues work from home as Fletchers offers Hybrid working. We offer a great work life balance, fabulous benefits, apprenticeships, and internal progression, around 10% of colleagues are currently working on apprenticeships or training contracts – more than ever before – and we are continuing to grow our L&D offering. We have a great culture and people that will support you and your goals.
Fletchers Group is an inclusive employer with a diverse work force, which is why we welcome applications from all diversity groups and backgrounds. We’re committed to providing a culture and environment where everyone can thrive. Fletchers understand and celebrating that no colleague is the same. We’re proud of our work on the Disability Confident scheme, and we are signing up to other diversity standards to reflect our ethos.
Main Responsibilities for the role:
- You will be running your own caseload of Deputyship and Trustee matters, both pre and post settlement of the PI claim whilst supervising junior fee earners and providing technical support to the team.
- Attending clients at their home, or in hospital or in care/nursing homes, to discuss and agree budgets and identify other priorities.
- Liaising with financial advisors on investments.
- Preparing accurate accounts of Deputyship cases including forecasts of expenditure on Deputyship and Trustee cases, including creating budgets to ensure funding sustainability.
- Management of Deputyship applications and other associated applications to the Court of Protection.
- Delegate and supervise tasks to junior team members where appropriate.
- Carrying out staff supervision to include regular meetings and appraisals.
- Contribute to regular team meetings and training sessions.
- To actively engage in business development plans.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 4 years PQE Court of Protection property & affairs work as well as experience of setting up and running PI trusts.
- Experience of making applications for statutory wills, gifts etc.
- Strong empathetic interpersonal skills and an ability to deal with a range of people with disabilities, their families and care team, as well as other legal professionals.
- High degree of professionalism, a pride in your work, and a commitment to achieve our clients’ goals.
- Strong leadership skills, the ability to lead and manage a growing team in line with company budgets and departments KPIs.
- An enthusiasm for team building and raising the internal and external profile of the team.
- The ability to train and develop others.
- The ability to interact with colleagues and express opinions in a professional and courteous way.
- Excellent time management – i.e., the ability to complete given tasks within an acceptable timescale and to work within any reasonably given deadlines.
- The ability to work in an organised way and in line with departmental procedures.
- The ability to apply initiative and forward thinking.
- Compliance with office manual procedures.
We reserve the right to close this role before the date specified depending on the calibre and volume of candidates.
In return Fletchers can offer:
- Competitive salary
- 35 hours working week
- Bonus scheme (subject to targets being met)
- 35 days holiday a year including bank holidays and Christmas Closure, you also have an option to purchase up to 3 extra days’ holiday per year, until you long service award the 3 days after your 5th, 7th, and 9th full year of employment
- Pension scheme with tax-efficient salary sacrifice option
- Life Assurance Policy
- Medicash policy to cover some Dental, optical and other medical expenses
- Enhanced company sick pay
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and IVF schemes
- Flexible, agile working environment with a positive work-life balance
- Varied calendar of funded company social events (check out Fletchers Group on LinkedIn)
- Monthly voucher awards
So much has happened in the last year at Fletchers:
- We became Fletchers Group following several acquisitions – and have big plans for more growth.
- We offered legal colleagues more training contracts than ever before.
- Retained excellent rankings with both The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners
- We opened 2 new office locations in Leeds and Liverpool (alongside Southport and Manchester)
- We launched our first ever Associate and Partner programmes for senior lawyers.
- We launched the Fletchers Foundation charity to support injured people.
That’s just to name a few, check out our website for more:
- Location: Leeds/Manchester/Hybrid
- Salary: DOE
- Department: Private Client
- Closing Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024