Paralegal – Private Client
Paralegal (Private Client)
Fletchers Solicitors Ltd have a fantastic opportunity to join our growing Private Client Team.
To assist the Private Client file handlers in managing the affairs of vulnerable people and to provide Deputyship and Trustee services to clients who have personal injury or clinical negligence claims.
About Fletchers Solicitors:
Fletchers is a rapidly growing law firm specialising in personal injury and clinical negligence law. We are based in the North-West of the UK, with offices in Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds & Southport, although many of our colleagues work from home as Fletchers offers Hybrid working. We offer a great work life balance, fabulous benefits, apprenticeships, and internal progression, around 10% of colleagues are currently working on apprenticeships or training contracts – more than ever before – and we are continuing to grow our L&D offering. We have a great culture and people that will support you and your goals.
Fletchers Group is an inclusive employer with a diverse work force, which is why we welcome applications from all diversity groups and backgrounds. We’re committed to providing a culture and environment where everyone can thrive. Fletchers understand and celebrating that no colleague is the same. We’re proud of our work on the Disability Confident scheme, and we are signing up to other diversity standards to reflect our ethos.
Main Responsibilities for the role:
- Work closely with a file handler to manage a caseload of Deputyship and Trustee matters, both before and after the settlement of the PI claim.
- Be the day-to-day point of contact for clients with brain injuries and their families, carers and other professionals, escalating issues to the file handler if required. This contact is by phone, email, and letter.
- Prepare best interest decisions for the Directors for approval around big decisions eg house purchase, cars, investments etc.
- Complete and maintain comprehensive schedule of assets, income and expenditure and reviewing the sustainability of finances on all matters. If required, prepare documents for funds for investments and withdrawals.
- Arrange and monitor payments within the agreed budgets. Check invoices against budgets and for compliance with terms and conditions, and ensure legal bills are settled swiftly.
- Financial reconciliation of all accounts, including the preparation of annual OPG reports including fee estimate.
- Organise and prepare meeting pack for annual review meeting (up to date SAIE, memo on present issues, agenda), complete the follow up actions from meeting.
- Obtain quotes for, arrange, and renew insurances.
- Communicate spending information to litigators and liaise about interim payments.
- Apply for relevant benefits.
- Draft simple wills.
- Liaise with support workers, family and case managers on payroll issues and authorise payment of wages, NI contributions and pension contributions.
- Open files and completing screens on Proclaim, including ensuring key dates are recorded and important documents are on file. Carrying these forward from previous matters where appropriate. Circulate deputy order to all assets holders when it is first received.
- Maintenance and administration of the Private Client Department precedent documents.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent customer care skills – i.e., dealing with all clients and stakeholders in a professional, empathetic, and courteous manner.
- Excellent teamwork skills – Working productively with colleagues in a professional, efficient, and courteous way.
- Excellent time management – i.e., the ability to complete given tasks within an acceptable timescale, to work within any reasonably given deadlines and to time record.
- The ability to work in an organised way, prioritising work appropriately.
- The ability to apply initiative and forward thinking.
- Flexible approach & keen attention to detail.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Working knowledge of the documents/procedures associated with Court of Protection/Private Client work.
- Using Proclaim as a file management system.
- Previous experience in Private Client and Court of Protection work.
- A-levels or equivalent.
We reserve the right to close this role before the date specified depending on the calibre and volume of candidates.
In return Fletchers can offer:
- Competitive salary
- 35 hours working week
- Bonus scheme (subject to targets being met)
- 35 days holiday a year including bank holidays and Christmas Closure, you also have an option to purchase up to 3 extra days’ holiday per year, until you long service award the 3 days after your 5th, 7th, and 9th full year of employment
- Pension scheme with tax-efficient salary sacrifice option
- Life Assurance Policy
- Medicash policy to cover some Dental, optical and other medical expenses
- Enhanced company sick pay
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity and IVF schemes
- Flexible, agile working environment with a positive work-life balance
- Varied calendar of funded company social events (check out Fletchers Group on LinkedIn)
- Monthly voucher awards
So much has happened in the last year at Fletchers:
- We became Fletchers Group following several acquisitions – and have big plans for more growth.
- We offered legal colleagues more training contracts than ever before.
- Retained excellent rankings with both The Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners
- We opened 2 new office locations in Leeds and Liverpool (alongside Southport and Manchester)
- We launched our first ever Associate and Partner programmes for senior lawyers.
- We launched the Fletchers Foundation charity to support injured people.
That’s just to name a few, check out our website for more:
- Location: Leeds/Hybrid
- Salary: DOE
- Department: Private Client
- Closing Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024